Monday, August 6, 2012

Delegate, Delegate, Delegate.

We are down to less than two weeks until school starts (2 1/2 weeks for the kids) and that means it's time to get my life back in order! I'm dragging my butt out of bed by 7am, I'm cleaning those nooks and crannies that get neglegted, and I'm mentally preparing to give my own life and all my free time up for the next 9 months. Part of the mental preparation part is my attempt to streamline "Daly" life. This school year, I am going to DELEGATE, DELEGATE, and DELEGATE!!!! I often have the kids help me around the house and in the past I've used a piece of notebook paper where I write up a chart with the kids' names and chores, then put checkmarks to show who-did-what,  but this is just too messy and I get lazy putting the checks on the chart.  Also, the kids are always whining, "I had to unload the dishwasher yesterday!" or, "It's not my turn to feed the dog!" 

If you're a mom, you can relate:  I don't care who did it yesterday or whose turn it is.  Just DO WHAT I ASKED YOU TO DO!!!

So, I had a creative streak a few days ago and made this fancy new system. 
Notice there are only 4 chores, but that's o.k. with me.  They are a.) the main things I need help with on a daily basis and b.) the things that everyone is capable of doing.  The chores are: unloading the dishwasher (I refuse to do this again until the day AFTER I drop child number 4 off at college), taking the garbage out and Clorox-wiping down the bathrooms a couple of times a week, help with assembling lunches on school days (5 this year, 6 when Dave's in the field), and the pet chores.  I put magnets on the back of the name strips so each week we can swap jobs. 
  Simple, right? 
Now, if only I could bring myself to tackle the SIDE of the fridge... 
I don't even know where to start. There are at least 3 layers of junk under each magnet!


 Do you pay allowances?  What chores do you have your kids do?  Any words of wisdom? 

P.S.  My sister-in-law used a "demerit" system when her kids were younger to encourage responsibility.  I find that I don't really punish laziness effectively enough, other than yelling and being crabby.  I'm not great about paying allowances because I never have cash to spare, but I do toss the kids a buck or two when they need it (like the upcoming fair or school (Scholastic) book sales, etc.).


No comments: