Tuesday, October 29, 2013

G is for granola!

I accidentally bought this last weekend at the grocery store:


I say "accidentally" because I was under the impression that there were 4 in a package, but there were only two.  When I realized I had paid $1 each for these, I nearly fainted. 

But, I have to say: I loved every last bite!  The granola stuff that I sprinkled on top of the strawberry swirly yogurt was delicious!  This week I needed to make a quick trip to WalMart for some school supplies, and while there, I looked through the cereal isle thinking I could buy a little granola and some cheaper yogurt and I could just make my own yogurt parfaits. 

Well, store-bought granola is EXPENSIVE!  Upwards of $4 for a not-very-big bag's worth!  I'm not going to pay that for something I could surely make!

And so I (or "we") did! 


What a breeze!  3 cups of old fashioned rolled oats, 3 Tbsp. brown sugar, 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. salt--all mixed together in a big bowl.  Then, in a smaller bowl:  1/3 cup honey, 1/4 cup Canola oil, 1 tsp. vanilla and mix until combined.  Poor the wet over the dry, mix with your hands, spread on a (greased) cookie sheet and bake at 300 for 15 minutes.  Stir, then bake another 10 minutes. 




DELICIOUS is all we have to say about that!  I'm storing it in this glass jar in the fridge to keep it as fresh as possible.  It tastes exactly like the stuff that came with the store-bought yogurt parfait (but much cheaper)!  Also, I'm hoping that if I eat it for breakfast, the protein in the yogurt will keep me feeling full a little longer than when I eat just plain oatmeal for breakfast. 

No comments: