Sunday, May 27, 2012

Amish Sugar Cookies

I decided to "kick it old school" the other day and browse through my "St. John's Lutheran Women of the ELCA" cookbook for a new cookie recipe (as opposed to browsing Pinterest or one of my favorite blogs:  http://www.picky-palate.com/).  I wanted something other than chocolate chip cookies, I was kind of in the mood for sugar cookies but didn't feel like the mess or the time that that kind of cookie involves.
After my old-fashioned searching, I found "Amish Sugar Cookies".
The batter consists of  the following:

1 c. sugar
1 c. powdered sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 c. margarine
1 c. vegetable oil
4 3/4 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. salt

Cream sugars and margarine.  Add eggs, cream again.  Add oil and vanilla and mix well.  Add dry ingredients.

What I liked about this recipe was that it required no chilling, no rolling, no cutting out, etc..
You drop the batter by teaspoon onto an ungreased cookie sheet, then press down with a fork.  Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. 

While I do know how to make homemade frosting, I'm a woman of the 21st century. I opened a couple of cans of store-bought frosting and tinted them red and blue in honor of the upcoming Memorial Day weekend.

Some red and blue sugar sprinkled on top and I was set!  We think these cookies are just as good as the ones that involve all that work, but they really are MUCH quicker, simpler and cheaper than store bought frosted sugar cookies!  The recipe made a few more than 5 dozen.

No comments: