Saturday, August 24, 2013

Crock Pot Lasagna

We love lasagna.  My friend Jenny prepares hers in loaf pans and then freezes them to feed her family of 4 (they have 2 young sons that aren't eating her out of house and home, YET!), my friend Laura makes lasagna using cheese ravioli, and my sister-in-law Lana's is just, well, out of this world.  Lasagna is so diverse; even after all these years, I still try different lasagna recipes.  I even went through a phase where I used ricotta cheese!  I got over that, I guess, but I have never jumped on the bandwagon for cooking the pasta before hand.

I came across a recipe for Lasagna at www.goodenessgracious.com, a cool blog I found through The Real Farmwives of America and Friends community on Facebook. 

I tweaked the original recipe to feed my family of 6 and work in my Crock Pot.

Ingredients:
1 pound browned ground beef
1 1/2 cans spaghetti sauce
8 ounces of bow tie pasta (uncooked)
16 ounces of cottage cheese
4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions:
1.  Spray the inside of the crockpot with cooking spray (this REALLY helped with clean up, I don't know why I don't always spray it?!?!)
2.  Brown the ground beef and drain, then stir in the spaghetti sauce
3.  Layer 1/2 the beef mixture, half the bow tie pasta, 1/2 the cottage cheese, and about 2 cups of cheese in the Crock Pot
4.  Repeat step 3. 
5.  Cook on low for about 4-5 hours (This translates into me coming home at lunch to turn on the Crock Pot, or as our pastor's wife does:  get a timer like you'd use on a lamp.) 

The first time I made this, I let it cook from 9am until 6pm and it was too overdone.  It was still good, but the edges were kind of unsalvageable. 

What have you been cooking up in your Crock Pot lately????


No comments: