Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Another Summer Project:

Trying new recipes!  I love cooking new things in the summer because I a) have the time, b) am not dead-tired, and c) don't need to be doing 6 other things like checking homework, folding laundry, quizzing spelling words, just to name a few, all while trying NOT to burn dinner. 
Last week a new Taste of Home: Simple and Delicious came in the mail and it was full of pretty pictures and yummy recipes!  I tried out three new ones this past week. 

1.  Cheeseburger Macaroni Skillet:  tasted like Cheeseburger-Mac Hamburger Helper, but without the weird, processed taste.  (I don't really like Hamburger Helper, but I love what it stands for-- a meal that is quick and EASY!)    Everyone liked it and, as promised, it was start-to-finish 30 minutes.




2.  Fresh Corn Fettuccine:  didn't love it.  There was something strange and funky about the grated Parmesan cheese and olive oil mixture that is supposed to be the base of the cream sauce.  Dave ate it, but none of us liked it.  I won't be making this again, but you might like it.  Don't let me dissuade you!  I will warn you, though, it takes longer than the stated 30 minutes and it's not really something you can walk away from.

3.  And I got out my good old Crock-Pot for Pepperoni Pizza Soup:  really good, I'll use diced tomatoes instead of stewed tomatoes next time, and Drew and I kind of picked around the sliced mushrooms and big chunks of tomatoes, but we love ravioli (which you add in the last 15 minutes).  Next time I think I'll do beef ravioli instead of cheese ravioli because there wasn't enough meat in it for me.  We all liked it, but Dave LOVED it!  It was easy to assemble at the beginning of the day so I'll pull this recipe out again next winter on a school day! 

What are you cookin' up on these dog-days of summer?!?!? 

No comments: